Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Penguin Publishers sent me a copy of this to review. It is the next book in the series called The Dresden Files. I’m both glad and sad that they sent me the book. Glad because it was a great book; sad because it’s the first time I’d read anything in the Dresden files and now I know the end but haven’t read anything that came before.

However, if you happen to be a Dresden fan then I have to believe that this novel would be a satisfying and compelling continuation of the story.

Harry Dresden is a wizard who has an unfortunate condition; he’s dead. But he can’t continue on into the afterlife until he finds out who murders him. His ghost is commissioned to find the murderer, save his friends who are in danger and probably save the world at the same time; all without benefit of his body or his magic.

This is an entertaining read. The plot while fantasy is still believable and the characters are well written. Not having read any other books in the series I’m not sure if Harry is normally a thoughtful guy but in this book he spends a lot of time ruminating on his life and how he got to be the way he was. He was a sarcastic, confident and caring person in life and his ghost also has those qualities. The dialogue is great and I’m sure would be even more entertaining for those who have read the series and are used to the way Butcher writes.

This is like a Harry Potter book for adults. But with more adult type of angst and moral dilemmas (yes even for a ghost). If you’re a Dresden fan, you have to read this book. If you’re not and think you might like to be, start with Storm Front the first in the series and work your way up to this book. It’ll be worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. Harry Dresden is a wizard who has an unfortunate condition; he’s dead.
    I LOVE this sentence. It would make a great opening line for a book.

    ReplyDelete