Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Still Life by Louise Penny


Still Life is Louise Penny’s debut novel, published in 2005.  Since then she’s written 7 more  novels each of them featuring Armand Gamache a Quebec detective with a literary bent and an eclectic collection of quotes and sayings sprinkled through his conversations.
Still Life introduces us to the village of Three Pines in Quebec.  This quiet village has been plunged into a murder investigation with the murder of one of its elderly citizens.   The investigation opens old wounds, exposes hidden character flaws and forever changes life in Three Pines.
Penny’s characters are richly drawn and even in this first book there is a suggestion that there is much depth in the main characters who will continue to be featured throughout her books.
I read this book when it first came out and was hooked.  Since then I’ve read all her books and am eagerly waiting for the 9th one to be published later this year.     Still Life is being made into a movie and so I re-read the book again this Christmas.  It was fun to go back to the beginning and see how much her characters have grown through the next 7 books.    I highly recommend this series if you’re looking for an entertaining, intelligent mystery that will leave you wanting more.

2 comments:

  1. Character developement is such an interesting thing isn't it. I imagine that the characters were strangers to the author too in the beginning. Can a character be too well drawn? I have noticed that sitcoms often begin so charmingly, but along the way, the characters become 'over drawn' and loose their charm. They were better with gaps left to be filled in.
    Still, there is something so satisfying about a series of stories whence the characters become almost a part of our own lives, like neighbors and friends. We love to truly know, and not just superficially. We long to know and to be known for that matter. Thanks for the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the fundamental difference between watching tv and reading. TV is one dimensional, the characters aren't really characters but caricatures. In a book, especially in a series, characters can be developed and can change and grow. Thanks for the comment. It would be a good discussion in a book club!

    ReplyDelete