Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan


I often pick the books I’m going to read based solely on the title.    I like quirky names; I picked Jasper Fforde’s books to read because of the two F’s in his last name.  So when I saw this book that not only had a quirky name but was about a bookstore I was sold.
Web designer Clay Jannon has lost his job and is on the hunt for a new one.  Being tired of sitting at a computer all day he decides to take a walk and discovers a sign in bookstore advertising for help.  But this is no ordinary bookstore as he finds out on his first evening shift.

This is a remarkable story based on the oldest theme in the world, the quest for immortality.  The story combines modern day technology with old world literature and charming characters. The mixture of old and new in the story is part of what makes this book so remarkable.  I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I can only say that technology helps to break an ancient code that is hiding in plain sight.  Old vs.  young is also a theme as the young Clay Jannon is mentored by the elderly Mr. Penumbra. And finally the book is about friendship; old and new and what friends will do for each other.
This is Robin Sloane’s first book, I sincerely hope that he’s working on another.

No comments:

Post a Comment