Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ground Truth by Rob Sangster


I’ve discovered that I am considered a “professional reader” because I review books on my blog.   Because of that I’ve been able to join netgalley.com.    Netgalley is a place where professional readers can request titles to review direct from publishers.   There is a good selection of titles available.  As far as I can tell only digital formats are available so if you don’t have an e-reader you’re out of luck.  Otherwise they seem to support all the popular brands of e-readers.
So Ground Truth was the first title I requested.    I requested it because it was a mystery/thriller and because it is Sangster’s first novel. 
The main character is Jack Strider, a corporate lawyer with aspirations to the Supreme Court.  His world is turned upside down when his father commits suicide and ugly truths are revealed about what he was involved in.   Jack is immediately tainted by this even though he and his father were not close or working together.   As a result he is thrust into a new company with a new mandate which almost immediately starts getting him into trouble.
This novel is a fast-paced thriller that was only slowed down for me by some of the awkward formatting on my Kindle.    I felt some of the scene changes were a bit sloppy and I sometimes had to read a few pages back to figure out how the transition had happened.   This could just be an editing issue rather than a flaw in the writing. 
The plot centers on hazardous waste and water issues in Mexico.  It turns out that Sangster has the background to write this type of novel since he was a lawyer, has done a lot of travelling and is involved in bringing clean water to Mexico.
The story is interesting and the characters are well-developed.  It seems a bit preachy at times but clearly the author is passionate about his subject so that the novel not only entertains but informs.
I would highly recommend this book and look forward to more from this author.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Shari,
    Many thanks for the kind words. I've had several books on international travel published, but this is my first novel. The manuscript for the second ("Deep Time") is in second revision. My family arrived in Canada from Scotland and I have a half-the-year home on the coast of Nova Scotia (and would become a citizen if the rules were less sticky). Thanks again. Rob (rob@sangster.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I look forward to reading your second novel! As an aside, my father's family is from Nova Scotia. it's a beautiful part of our country.

      Delete