Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

His Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal


His Majesty’s Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal covers a few genres namely historical/mystery/spy.  I don’t read a lot of historical fiction but I do like mysteries and the fact that this was a female spy story set in WW 2 Berlin made this an intriguing story for me. 
The story doesn’t disappoint.  Maggie Hope is a newly trained spy for the British Intelligence and is set to go on her first foreign mission into Berlin.  There are specific reasons that she’s been chosen for this mission although she isn’t privy to this knowledge for most of the novel.   The historical background in this novel is impressive and the characters are well-written.  The story has lots of intrigue and suspense and I found this book hard to put down.
When I requested a copy from netgalley.com to review I had no idea it was the 3rd book in a series.  However, you don’t necessarily need to know the back story to enjoy this book.  There’s enough information to be able to connect the dots and if you happen to start with this book it will just make you want to read the first two.
If you like spy stories that feature strong female characters then you will like this book.  I would recommend it even if you haven’t read the first 2 but if you want to read them in order it starts with Mr. Churchill’s Secretary and then Princess Elizabeth’s Spy.  She is at work on the 4th installment and I look forward to reading them all.

2 comments:

  1. Historical novels seem like a wonderful way to approach history. Names and dates aren't just faceless facts then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked and these are in the library so they are worth getting out and reading. She lists her research at the end of the book and it's impressive.

    ReplyDelete